Change Displayed Text SizeGrow Displayed Text SizeShrink Displayed Text Size
 

Monday, April 04, 2005

Squid on Mac OS X

More or less on a whim I set up Squid on my Macs using [SquidMan]. Not only does SquidMan make it very easy to run Squid on MacOS X, but it makes it easy to configure. I noticed a significant performance increase on the Powerbook and G5 with Squid running - pages came in much faster, even with a small Squid cache size. Squid just does a much better job than the caching mechanism the browser itself uses.
I confess, I have a bad habit of typing URLs without "www" or ".com". If you type in "ebay", most modern browsers will see that "http://ebay" will not resolve, then try "www.ebay.com". With Squid active, that would lead to me getting a Squid error page. Needless to say, that got pretty annoying. If you're like me, put this in your Squid configuration file:
append_domain .com
Which will put ".com" on the end of any domain you give squid that has no periods in it. Simple, and doesn't require a lot of work.

4/04/2005 04:10:00 PM ] [  0 comments  ]
[archives]
A good quick laugh