Change Displayed Text SizeGrow Displayed Text SizeShrink Displayed Text Size
 

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The sand between your toes

After reading [Fix Your Feet] and a number of articles on barefoot running and foot muscle imbalances I decided to try it. A few days ago I started running on the wet sand at low/rising tide to build up some mileage without shoes to see how things went.

So far the result have been exceptional, and without the GPS I would not beleive them. Within the first 100 yards of my first run I noticed a number of things I was doing wrong in my form and stride and could correct them immediately - things I could not feel when running with shoes on. And once I corrected them, I shot off. It didn't feel faster, it just felt right. When I looked at my pace on the GPS more than a mile later I almost stopped to make sure I wasn't seeing a pace from a bike ride.

I had immediately dropped over 2 minutes from my mile pace, held it over 4 miles, and did it (and better) the next day. That's a bit of a change. My mile pace went from a fairly consistent (and disappointing) 9:50 to 10:30 mile down to 7:40 the first run without shoes, and the next day between 7:20 and 7:35. I was also able to sprint for 1/2 mile the second day at a 6:33 pace, easily the fastest I've ever run.

I think I'm going to stick to running without shoes.

6/09/2004 05:01:00 PM ] [  0 comments  ]
[archives]
A good quick laugh