Change Displayed Text SizeGrow Displayed Text SizeShrink Displayed Text Size
 

Saturday, June 19, 2004

malloc my ass!

I've had some success getting the Mac to talk to the Forerunner. It turns out that I do have a slightly flaky USB port, which doesn't seem to be a problem with a mouse, but causes trouble with the IOGear serial port adapter I have. Now that it's working a bit better, I've successfully accessed the Forerunner's tracks from both perl and java, but so far not from objective-c. Working with raw bytes is fairly easy in java, not so easy in objective-c or C. Writing objective-c functions to construct the packets needed to talk to the Forerunner is proving to be a pain in the ass.
Of course, once I figure this out, everything else will be a piece of cake. The sick thing is, I know this is EXACTLY like building out QuickTime tracks, atoms, etc. out of handles back in the day, but I've long since forgotten that. The last time I did serious work with QuickTime handles, it was in Java!

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised that not only is KMFDM putting out a new DVD, but they're in town this week. I sure could use a good show.

6/19/2004 01:34:00 AM ] [  0 comments  ]
[archives]
A good quick laugh