Change Displayed Text SizeGrow Displayed Text SizeShrink Displayed Text Size

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Tuesday funday

If you feel the needle moving in, it's going to work. That's my rule with lydacaine: if you're not feeling it, it's not near enough the nerve to work. So today after the first two shots we waited for it to take effect. My previous visit with the oral surgeon was to get my wisdom teeth out, and I had been completely out for that. This time around I was very much awake. As soon as he got started, he really got started. Anybody could tell I was feeling everything we was doing, and I could tell that he was hurrying to keep the time I was uncomfortable as short as possible. As soon as he had to start cutting he realized that I needed a tad more lydacaine before he could go in with the scalpel. A quick shot, no waiting, and he was back in there working the tooth out. The whole time I was keeping myself as in control as I could, but it wasn't easy. I probably breathed all of 3 times during the whole procedure, the doctor had to remind me two of those times to breathe again.

Once he was done the assistant started going over the post op guidelines: no drinking from straws, no hard foods.... at the hard foods I was having real trouble keeping my eyes open and my head up. I had skipped breakfast to keep my teeth free of Crackin Oat Bran for the doctor, so going in my blood sugar was very low. Between that and the stress I was on the verge of blacking out once I was breathing again after the operation. I tried to talk with my hands to the assistant but couldn't bring my hands above my heart to gesture, which was frustrating as hell. At that point I apparently turned several different colors and broke out into a mad, cold sweat. Soaked within seconds, they ran to cover me in paper towels.

Oddly enough, last night I woke up in almost the same sweat and had a hard time getting back to sleep. Strange.

At any rate, I scared the hell out of the doctor's staff. For a while they were keeping an eye on my blood pressure, and wouldn't let me think about moving until it was back to normal.

The City of Santa Monica brightened my morning back at my car with a parking ticket, bless their hearts.

When I got home I ate as much of a cheese tortellini MRE as I could on one side of my mouth, took my medicine, and ended up falling asleep while checking some stuff out of CVS. And now I'm hungry all the time, but can't eat much of anything yet.

5/18/2004 07:35:00 PM ] [  0 comments  ]
A good quick laugh