Change Displayed Text SizeGrow Displayed Text SizeShrink Displayed Text Size
 

Friday, May 21, 2004

Office 2004

I've been noticing my disk is almost constantly being accessed. After doing some poking around, I noticed via top -u that a Microsoft processs was constantly running in the background.
[khyron:~] quellish% ps ax | grep Microsoft
381 ?? S 0:00.35 /Applications/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app/Contents/MacOS
382 ?? S 0:16.04 /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Microsoft


Turns out it was two of them. I had installed Office 2004 the other day, and that seems to be the culprit. Killing those two processes ended the disk access immediately.
Annoying.

If you go to your account in System Preferences, you can turn off those Microsoft processes in Startup Items. The autoupdate agent is a no brainer, but if you use Entourage I don't think you should disable the Microsoft Database Daemon.

5/21/2004 06:38:00 PM ] [  0 comments  ]
[archives]
A good quick laugh