Change Displayed Text SizeGrow Displayed Text SizeShrink Displayed Text Size
 

Saturday, January 24, 2004

Why the hell do we "save" in the 21st century?

It seems that Michael has the same [things on his mind] that I do. Saving is the stupidest paradigm in human-computer interaction.
You want me to translate that? Saving is stupid. In more than 20 years of personal computing we haven't gotten past that. If I don't "save" my work, it's as good as gone? It never happened?
Why didn't we get rid of this saving sillyness a long time ago?

[Nisus Writer Express] (which I am writing this in right now) has a pretty good autosaving feature. Rarely do I have to consciously save something. What it does lack is rollback or version control. If I could pop a given document back to a previous revision, well, that could save my ass a few times a week right there.

This is something I'm working on a functional demo for, though not (unfortunately) at the filesystem level yet. If I were to write an operating system today, it wouldn't encourage "saving".

1/24/2004 08:22:00 PM ] [  0 comments  ]
[archives]
A good quick laugh