Change Displayed Text SizeGrow Displayed Text SizeShrink Displayed Text Size
 

Monday, February 10, 2003

Over the weekend I got the Pentium I 166 Micron machine partitioned and set up with BeOS 5, which was a breeze compared with trying to do the same on the eMachines Athlon 700. The eMachines continues to refuse to resize the drive with Partition Magic, and under BeOS PE it still won't talk to any network cards. Once I got the 166 running it didn't like the ATI Mach 64 video card, it would only run in VESA mode so I ran down to [PC Liquidator] saturday morning and picked up some more 3com cards and an ATI Rage II PCI card, as well as a Sony CD-R for the eMachines. With the Rage II card the Pentium 166 performs well with BeOS, and once again I'm using a real modern OS (even though using it requires pulling hardware off the other PC etc every time).

The eMachines did manage to ALMOST install XP Pro with the new Sony CD drive this time, it failed at the last step and had to uninstall, but managed to revert back to Windows 98 without any real problems. To get the AP up and running I still need to figure out a way to set up a linux kernel build environment, and I'm not having luck setting up VirtualPC with RedHat (2 versions have failed with the installer bailing on me). Oy. The things we do for progress.

I picked up some Oakley shoes yesterday, "Flesh Sandals" at Good See Co. on the beach in Venice, marked down to $40 from $90. So far they're pretty comfortable here at work but need some breaking in. And I started on the Valentine's Day plan... if things go well, she'll be wearing a shit eating grin for a while :)

Contrary to popular belief, not all guys are in it just for the [bang bang bang].

And it seems that hiccups are an [evolutionary artifact], which is interesting as all hell to me.

2/10/2003 05:09:00 PM ] [  0 comments  ]
[archives]
A good quick laugh