Change Displayed Text SizeGrow Displayed Text SizeShrink Displayed Text Size
 

Sunday, August 18, 2002

So one of the things I'm working on someplace between sleeping, driving to work, and berating coworkers is setting up my own wireless accesspoint/router for home. [A friend] was getting rid of some Sun hardware, and hey, at under $10 for a Sparc Classic, how could you go wrong buying that, right? I had originally intended to use it as server for things like tgps (tgp=pr0n$), but then I got this crazy idea...
sparc classic + sbus->pcmcia bridge + 802.11b card = access point.
Cheaper and more flexible than buying a linksys (though I wouldn't mind one anyway!). With some luck and some saving of money, I'll get the [200mW card] I saw at defcon x this year and I'll be able to provide access to a good portion of Venice. Yes kids, 200mW - 2x-4x the other guys. Now, the neato thing here is that since it's not just a lil embedded system with flash memory like a linksys of airport AP, I can do some [interesting stuff]. Donations of 802.11/2.4GHz goodies are always welcome ;)

Since the company I work for is just selling sugared water like the other guys, and that's never going to change, I just have to change the world from home, one byte at a time.

8/18/2002 04:32:00 PM ] [  0 comments  ]
[archives]
A good quick laugh