Change Displayed Text SizeGrow Displayed Text SizeShrink Displayed Text Size
 

Thursday, August 22, 2002

Back to props. I had been thinking about variable blade pitch props that would allow a submersible to move in any direction - most submersibles use either hydrodynamic control surfaces (rudders, diveplanes) or small thrusters that lie along each axis of movement. Both of them have a lot of disadvatages. Now if you had a prop with 20+ blades, each of which had a full 360 degrees of rotation along it's long axis, if you could control each individually, you would be pretty close to having the prop I want. As I thought about it through the day, I'm thinking more and more that you would need two counter-rotating props to really pull it off, or to exploit some kind of hydrodynamic effect that I haven't touched on yet. Hmmm...

8/22/2002 12:10:00 AM ] [  0 comments  ]
[archives]
A good quick laugh